Monday, November 22, 2010

Green Bean Casserole



Generally the cliche dish of the holidays, this casserole gets a lot of flack.  But I have found that if you do it right and don't use canned ingredients, the flavor is much better.  The texture is also better because the green beans haven't been cooked to mush.  I searched the Food Network archives for a good one, because I actually love this as a Thanksgiving side dish and I wanted to make a tastier version of it.  My friend Alton Brown has saved me and you with this great recipe!  And don't worry, it's in the public archive, so there's no copyright issue.

I will admit I didn't make my own french fried onions.  I just bought the canned ones.  Saved me time and effort, and I like the canned ones just fine.

Green Bean Casserole

1 lb fresh green beans, ends snapped off and beans snapped in half
1 gallon of water
salt

2 tbsp butter
12 oz sliced button mushrooms
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp flour
1 c heavy whipping cream
1 c chicken broth or stock

1 large can of french fried onions, divided in half.

Fill a large stockpot with the water, and bring to a boil.  Blanch beans in water for 5 minutes and immediately rinse with cold water or plunge into ice water to stop cooking.  Set aside.

While the water is heating and beans are cooking, saute mushrooms in the butter.  When the mushrooms start to release their liquid, add garlic, salt, and pepper.  Sprinkle the flour into the pan over the mushrooms and stir to coat everything, til flour is absorbed.  Add chicken broth or stock and then cream, and stir til combined, and til smooth and thick.  Stir in half the onions to the sauce and add beans.  Pour into a greased square baking dish, and then top with the rest of the onions.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes til top is browned and casserole is hot and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!